NEW MEDIA ART FESTIVAL INSTALLATION
Akbank art centre, Istanbul continues with its exhibition “The Rhythm of Istanbul“, in collaboration with the Akbank Jazz festival. Marking the twentieth anniversary of this world renowned music festival, it will feature installations by six internationally acclaimed artists working in sound and new media.
Curator Gisela Winkelhofer is using the commission to approach the use of sound and rhythm and to explore how movement combines with the architectural spaces of the festival, shedding new light on the confrontation between mass media and the individual.
Accordingly, artists with a reputation for transforming the spatial encounter will be present. Canadian-born Berlin-based Angela Bulloch is showing her Progression of 8 Perverted Pixels (2008), taking the light transmitted from ordinary TV programmes, abstracting them beyond recognition and projecting them as shape-changing beams.
Specially commissioned by the festival, Tony Oursler‘s new work also evokes the spectator’s virtual relation to their surroundings. Both movement within the work and the transgression of different media takes central place in the exhibition. Another new work Rod and Verity Walking (2010) by Julian Opie positions itself on the fringes of two distinct mediums, in this case film and drawing.
- Video artist Chen Chieh-jen premieres in UK with Empire’s Borders II – October 2010 – international acclaim for Chinese video artist
- Top Australian media artists introduced at Art Taipei- public lecture by Antoanetta Ivanova – September 2010 – introduction to some of the prominent names in Australian new media and how they are promoted
- ‘A Red Carpet’ for Singapore’s Digital Nights Showcase, courtesy artist Tom Carr – September 2010 – festival of new and digital artworks coinciding with major international event
- Young Chinese artist Li Hui lights up Netherlands: an Art Radar interview – September 2010 – Chinese light artist making an impact outside Asia
- Lisa Reihana’s electronic Maori art at Anna Landa new media biennial 2009 Australia – video – July 2009 – emergence of talented video artist with good links to work