PHILIPPINES CONTEMPORARY EMERGING ARTIST AWARD
Art in the Philippines never sounded so tasty! When you hear the word “Yum” you usually think of food. But a Filipino fast food chain seems to have a different kind of “Yum” in mind. Launched in October this year, the Jollibee Yumbassadors is an effort of Jollibee Foods Corporation to give back to the food-loving Filipino community by means of youth empowerment emphasising Filipino individuality. And with the inclusion of Nasser Lubay in the Yumbassador roster of nine, it seems that the company views contemporary artists as particularly inspirational.
It could be said that Nasser Lubay‘s name (which means “victory” in Arabic) is nothing short of prophetic. His painting entitled Rebirth, created purely in watercolor, placed 2nd honors in the Celeste Prize 2009 in Berlin, making him the sole Filipino to ever win the award and besting 724 other entries from all over the world.
Aside from bagging an international award he was invited to participate in a major cross-strait international art show, the 2nd Animamix Biennial 2009-2010. This travelling show explored the aesthetics of animation and comics and the appearance of a new art genre it called “Animamix”.
This 27-year old self-taught artist explores a variety of artistic styles and media such as painting, photography, digital artwork, video and live media while mixing traditional patterns and modern techniques to create his own brand of aesthetic. His works aim to reflect human emotion from all over the world and capture it in abstract color.
“I am an artist,” says Lubay. “I paint to express the positive side of life so people will always be inspired to reach their goals, too.”
Nine hip young Filipinos who excel in their respective fields – including entrepreneurship, social responsibility, academics, sport, literature and the arts – have been selected as Jollibee Yumbassadors.
- Taiwanese artist Wu Mali on role of art in communities – Asia Art Archive – December 2010 – on influential artist on art and the community in Taiwan
- Art in the Philippines – a day tour of Manila galleries in pictures – October 2010 – a day visit to the galleries in the country’s capital
- Clarissa Chikiamco on Philippine independent art spaces funding challenge: Phillippine Star – July 2010 – from the Philippine star, the challenge of funding independent art spaces
- Ten emerging Filipino artists in biggest outdoor gallery in Asia – Philippine Star – November 2008 – from the Philippine Star, Filipino artists gather in one big event
- Filipino artist Ronald Ventura in Singapore museum show to November 2008 – October 2008 – Filipino artist featured in a show in Singapore