YOUNG FILIPINO VISUAL ARTISTS PROFILE LIST
SPOT is a go-to website for Manila events, news and reviews with its features on lifestyle, pop culture and art. It recently published the list “Top 10 Most Successful Young Artists in Manila”, compiled by writer and photographer Monica Barretto, that we talk about here.
Art is not exactly the career of choice for most money-seekers in the Philippines, but these artists have proved the exception. The SPOT-published list below is based on sales figures from recent auctions in Hong Kong and Singapore; international gallery shows and art competition wins aside, the top-grossing artists are,
- Ronald Ventura
- Geraldine Javier
- Nona Garcia
- Rodel Tapaya
- Yasmin Sison-Ching
- Kiko Escora
- Annie Cabigting
- Winner Jumalon
- Andres Barrioquinto
- Nikki Luna
Click here to read the full article on SPOT which lists the artists from 10 down to 1 and supplies a broad profile for each.
What do you, our readers, think of the list? Is there an artist you can’t believe didn’t make it? Thoughts are welcome in the comments section below. We’d love to hear from you!
- Filipino emerging artist named Yumbassador – December 2010 – young Celeste Prize-winning artist named ambassador for a top food brand
- Art in the Philippines – a day tour of Manila galleries in pictures – October 2010 – we take you through a day walking Manila’s galleries
- Sotheby’s Hong Kong presents results of autumn sale of Southeast Asian paintings – October 2010 – results of Sotheby’s Hong Kong autumn sale
- Clarissa Chikiamco on Philippine independent art spaces funding challenge: Phillippine Star – July 2010 – an article summary talking about the state of Philippine independent art spaces
- Ten emerging Filipino artists in biggest outdoor gallery in Asia – Philippine Star – November 2008 – Filipino artists participate in this unique gallery event