HONG KONG CHINESE ARTISTS CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY
Six top artists from Hong Kong and China are the subjects and not the creators of a fine art photographic show being exhibited during Hong Kong ArtWalk 2011. From artists to startlets, are we witnessing the rise of the celebrity artist?
The exhibition, called “I’ll Be Your Mirror”, will run at Hong Kong-based 2P Contemporary Art Gallery until 23 March, 2011. More from the press release:
On the occasion of Hong Kong’s biggest charity art event, the Hong Kong ArtWalk 2011, 2P Contemporary Art Gallery presents “I’ll Be Your Mirror”, a special exhibition of award-winning portraits of Hong Kong and China’s most respected and established contemporary artists by Hong Kong-based French artist Virgile Simon Bertrand.
Reinstating formality in portraiture using his distinctively ascetic and contemplative style the photographs evidence the creative dialogue between Bertrand and his subjects. “I’ll Be Your Mirror” features portraits of leading artists including Hiram To, Kacey Wong and Ho Siu Kee from Hong Kong and Yin Xiu Zhen, Liu Ye and Zhu Wei from China.
Are artists in Asia becoming celebrities in their own right, following in the footsteps of the likes of Britain’s Damien Hirst? Does this suggest a trend new to the Asian contemporary art world? Leave your comments below.
- Walid Raad’s Lebanon shows in Sweden for first time – picture post – February 2011 – Raad’s images critique Lebanese civil war, Arab art world
- Artist Manit Sriwanichpoom’s pink prophecies for Thailand – Art Radar interview – November 2010 – Sriwanichpoom’s photography exposes truth behind Thai society through satire
- Documentary and art photography crossover exhibition attempts to portray alternate realities of war – October 2010 – manipulation of common war images presents different view
- Anti “commercial” art, Luk Tsing Yuen comments on corporate greed: video – August 2010 – anti-celebrity Luk Tsing Yuen says “businessmen are destroying our history and artwork”
- Rise of the celebrity artist: Vietnamese artist Trong Nguyen featured on Bravo TV reality series – July 2010 – Nguyen appears on US reality TV series Work of Art: The Next Great Artist