CHINESE ARTIST ART PRIZES HONG KONG
Intuition, the artistic project conceived by Gao Weigang, has captured the attention of the ART FUTURES judges at ART HK 11. The Chinese artist, represented by the Beijing gallery, Magician Space, was announced the recipient of this year’s prize at an awards ceremony that took place at the fair on Thursday 26 May 2011.
The competition for the USD25,000 cash prize, sponsored by the Asian luxury retailer Lane Crawford, was particularly fierce amongst artists this year as the 2011 ART FUTURES is ART HK’s largest edition to date. The Heilongjiang-born artist Gao Weigang stood out from his contemporaries with his artwork Intuition. The piece is inspired by the concept of tiger skin and it is charged with symbolic references. Gao, born in 1976, has been exhibiting in China since 2006. In 2008 to 2009 he exhibited solo at China Art Archives & Warehouse (Beijing); the show, called “Foreign Bodies”, was curated by Ai Weiwei.
In its third year of conception, ART FUTURES has tripled in size from its original format. This year it features a total of 45 international galleries from 23 countries, representing a broad spectrum of emerging contemporary art around the globe and continuing its original aim of showcasing “emerging artists and [encouraging] a presence of fresh, exciting new work at the fair.” Pakistani-American artist Shahzia Sikander took home the 2010 ART FUTURES award.
- ART HK 11 Hong Kong art fair: Mystery man behind Hong Kong art fair success – Charles Ross – May 2011 – how Ross has managed to turn the global art market infrastructure upside down in just 4 years
- ART HK 11 Hong Kong art fair: IQ2 debater Simon de Pury on beautiful art – interview – May 2011 – an interview with the iconic Simon de Pury
- Hong Kong art fair ART HK 11: First day fair impressions – May 2011 – a first day overview of the ‘overwhelming’ Hong Kong Art Fair 2011
- Hong Kong artist activist Kacey Wong on Ai Weiwei arrest – interview – May 2011 – Art Radar speaks to the man leading protests against Ai Weiwei’s arrest
- Pakistani American artist Shahzia Sikander impresses judges of SCMP|ART FUTURES at ART HK 10 – June 2010 – Last year’s winner of the ART FUTURES award