SURVEY EXHIBITION TURKEY ARTIST GROUP
The 12th Istanbul Biennial is not the only current exhibition of contemporary art worth noting in the Turkish capital, “That’s Fucking Awesome”, an exhibition of Turkish artist duo, :mentalKLINIK, was on view at the Haskoy Yarn Factory through October 2011.
Multiplicity of media
“That’s Fucking Awesome” surveys ten years of work by the internationally exhibited art group, :mentalKLINIK. The pop-up exhibition, curated by Jérôme Sans, the soon-to-be former Director of the Ullens Center of Contemporary Art in Beijing, China, features works in multiple artistic forms such as sound, sculpture, video and multimedia. This multiplicity of media proves the intentions of the artists to provide both a survey of works and an experience for the audience. According to the exhibition press release, the show is an “open laboratory to reinvent process, production, roles, conception and presentation” and is described as an “introspective rather than a retrospective” of :mentalKLINIK’s work.
Challenging traditional exhibition space
:mentalKLINIK was founded in 1998 by artists Yasemin Baydar (1972, Istanbul) and Birol Demir (1967, Ankara). As :mentalKLINIK, Baydar and Demir have never restricted their artistic practice; the artist duo produce videos, sound installations, objects, texts and media works in the form of computer software. The group established a workshop, or studio as defined by traditional artists, in Istanbul in 2000, and since, have held many solo exhibitions internationally, most notably “Self01” at MUDAM Camp De Base in Luxembourg in 2004. The artist duo has also made moves into cyberspace with their 2008 to 2009 exhibition “TagCloud”, which existed almost entirely online, forcing audience members to repeatedly visit the site in order to experience the presentation in its entirety. The unique characteristics of “TagCloud” alter the general conception of duration within an exhibition-viewing context and this type of investigative questioning of audience experience can be found in much of :mentalKLINIK’s work to date.
“That’s Fucking Awesome” was on view at Haskoy Yarn Factory in Istanbul from 17 September to 22 October, 2011.
- Biennials showcase Asian art globally: 4 top posts – October 2011 – read more on biennials for Asian Contemporary Art
- Photographic duo RongRong and inri get first Hong Kong retrospective – September 2011 – exhibition review of artist duo’s photography exhibition
- Thoughts can be art! Chinese artist-curator duo Liu Ding, Carol Yinghua Lu interview – August 2011 – interview with curators about their collaborative projects
- Art so fresh it’s still wet at Contemporary Istanbul – video – December 2010 – view VernissageTV’s video on Contemporary Istanbul 2010
- Turkish art another fad? The lowdown on this new market – March 2009 – a summary of ArtTactic’s 2009 report on Turkish Modern and Contemporary Art
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on contemporary art exhibitions and biennials in Asia and beyond