INDIAN CONTEMPORARY ART DISTRICT NEW DELHI
Lado Sarai, one of India’s newest gallery districts, is holding nine exhibition openings in one night on 5 April 2012, an event certain to attract art professionals and enthusiasts alike. Come out and see for yourself what New Delhi contemporary art has to offer.
Started in August 2011, Art Nite has quickly become one of the most important evenings on New Delhi’s contemporary art calendar. The quarterly event is situated in Lado Saria, New Delhi’s emergent contemporary art district that has sprung up over the last few years. Indian young professionals are demonstrating a growing taste for contemporary art and events like Art Nite are appealing ways to attract a new crowd of contemporary art devotees.
Art Nite also gives attendees the chance to visit a diverse range of exhibitions all in one go. While Lado Saria has hosted Art Nites in the past, this week’s event is the first time nine galleries have all coordinated to open new exhibitions at the same time.
Here are the exhibition previews on tap for April 2012’s Art Nite:
Abadi Art Space | “Entrapment”
An exhibition of works from Delhi-based photographer Sandeep Biswas. The show, which includes photography, video and installation, explores urban landscapes to reveal how social pressures of modern life can leave the individual feeling alienated and trapped.
“The Third Eye” is a meditation on the Ajna Chakra, also known as the ‘third eye’ or ‘mind’s eye’, which is said to be a pathway to a higher consciousness and creative vision. The exhibition includes paintings, sculptures, installations and video artworks by Partha Shaw, Arbind Kumar Singh and Anil Thambai.
Art.Motif | Two person show
Curated by Ranjita Chaney, “His-story and Her-story” is a collective account of the four contemporary artists exploring personal narratives. Nandan Ghiya, Princess Pea, Sumakshi Singh and Sachin George Sebastian reflect on events in their own lives and what those episodes reveal about contemporary life.
Gallery Ragini | “Pic (sale)”
A solo show, exhibiting installations and paper works by Saptarshi Das.
An exhibition of photos and four videos from artist Vasudha Thozhur. Thozhur lives next to a “party plot,” a public space where weddings and other celebratory functions are held. In this context, the artist ruminates on the nature of these celebrations and their participants, examining the role they play in Indian social and political life.
Studio Art | “……..In Progress”
Lado Serai’s Art Night kicks off at all nine galleries at 6:30pm on Thursday 5 April 2012.
- Airports “shrines of public art”? Terminals to art museums in India – February 2012 – Can airports be a legitimate venue for contemporary Indian art?
- Lado Sarai: New Delhi’s “new high street of art” – AFP – February 2012 – a history of this unique, promising contemporary art district
- India Art Fair 2012: For international galleries, India focus among emerging economies – February 2012 – fair results for 2012 pointed to optimistic prospects for India’s contemporary art market
- India Art Fair’s Collectors’ Circle educates new buyers – December 2011 – IAF’s Neha Kirpal aims to foster a new group of Indian art collectors
- International artists reflect on controversial New Delhi face-lift – August 2010 – local and international artists reflect on the transformation of the city
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on Lado Sarai contemporary art district