ART AWARD HONG KONG ART FAIR
The 2012 ART FUTURES award was awarded to Hong Kong artist Lee Kit for his project Something in My Hands. The USD25,000 prize is given to an emerging artist represented by a young gallery to encourage new artists and art professionals in Asia.
Of the 35 international galleries vying for the award, it was Shanghai-based AIKE-DELLARCO representing Hong Kong artist Lee Kit that clinched the prize. According to the press release, Lee’s conceptual installation stood out for “intertwin[ing] the use of different art forms with the notions of daily life to build up an atmosphere and create a sense of feeling for his audience.”
To strengthen the quality of the work on display in the ART FUTURES section in 2012, ART HK Director Magnus Renfrew shrank the number of exhibitors while opening it to galleries with up to eight years of experience. The judging panel was equally distinguished; it included Lars Nittve, Executive Director of M+, Kowloon’s prospective contemporary art museum, Elaine Ng, Editor and Publisher of ArtAsiaPacific and Okwui Enwezor, a Nigerian-born American curator who served as Artistic Director of the 2008 Gwangju Biennale, Documenta 11 and many other events.
Lee Kit is a multimedia artist from Hong Kong. Since graduating from the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2003 he has had solo exhibitions around the world, including in Milan, Tokyo, New York, Sydney and Wellington. He was a finalist for the Sovereign Asian Art Prize in 2009 to 10. Most recently, Art Statements Gallery in Hong Kong exhibited his installation, How to Set up an Apartment for Johnny, at Art Basel 42 in 2011. He was also part of the MoMA group exhibition “Print/Out“, a show of contemporary international print work that just ended on 14 May 2012.
Be the first to find out about breaking art news. Click here to express your interest in our online art journalism certificate programme. Summer intake application deadline: 4 June 2012.
- Ai Weiwei wins White Box award for “defending human rights against oppression” – May 2012 – another recent art prize awarded to the Chinese artist dissident
- ART HK 11 Hong Kong art fair: Chinese artist Gao Weigang wins 2011 ART FUTURES award – May 2011 – last year’s winner hailed from mainland China
- Xu Bing 30 years celebrated by Audi-sponsored Chinese art award – April 2011 – the conceptual Chinese artist wins a lifetime achievement award sponsored by the luxury car dealer
- Is Hong Kong a cultural desert? How can you become a better collector? Answers revealed at Asia Art Forum – June 2010 – a guest post by Bonnie E. Engel lists Lee Kit as emerging in the international art world
- Which Chinese artists are among the big names at Louis Vuitton Passion show in Hong Kong? NY Times review – June 2009 – Lee Kit participated in this Hong Kong exhibition
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on ART HK 12 and the wider Asian contemporary art world