The 2012 edition of Art Jog saw healthy sales on its opening weekend, with buyers favouring contemporary Indonesian paintings.
Art Jog ’12 officially opened on 14 July 2012. Initial sales indicate a healthy interest in contemporary Indonesian painting. While it is too early to tell how the fair will, well… fare, Art Radar brings you some of the key sales from the opening weekend.
Art Jog ’12 is an art fair based on a distinctive artist-centred format. The organisers Heri Pemad Art Management run the fair like a big gallery exhibition, with an open call for works and a curatorial theme. Artists control the prices of their works, and anything unsold goes back to the artist at the end of the fair.
The opening weekend of Art Jog ’12 saw 17 works sold and another 33 works reserved. Sales totaled IDR1.3045 billion (approx. USD140,000). Paintings dominated the sales, although video and photographic works were positively received by buyers too.
Works were not only sold to Indonesian collectors, but also collectors from other Asian countries like Singapore, Hong Kong and Korea. European collectors from Germany and Switzerland expressed interest in the Indonesian contemporary art at the fair as well.
The art fair committee, as well as workers on the ground, reported that visitors were enthusiastic about the art works. They stated they are confident of steady sales as the fair progresses, especially on the second and last weekends of the fair.
Works sold as of the end of the opening weekend on 15 July 2012, in descending price order, include
- Handiwirman Saputra, Potong Dan Bakar, 2012, C-print, 167 x 117 cm (4 panels), IDR525 million (USD55,650)
- Samsul Arifin, Perlawanan Dalam Kepatuhan, 2012, acrylic on canvas, IDR320 million (USD33,920)
- Anang Saptoto, Pohon Jati Riwayatmu Kini 1, 2012, photographic print on acrylic, aluminium, variable dimensions (33 pieces), IDR85 million (USD9,010)
- Uji Handoko, Meet the Legend, 2012, acrylic on canvas, variable dimensions, IDR60 million (USD6,360)
- Aan Arief Rahmanto, Bustle of the City, 2012, oil on canvas, 200 x 250 cm, IDR45 million (USD4,770)
- Agung Hanafi a.k.a. Pekik, Pagi di Sudut Kota, 2012, oil on canvas, 265 x 135 cm, IDR40 million (USD4,240)
- Agung Hanafi a.k.a. Pekik, Siang di Sudut Kota, 2012, oil on canvas, 265 x 135 cm, IDR40 million (USD4,240)
- Agung Hanafi a.k.a. Pekik, Sore di Sudut Kota, 2012, oil on canvas, 265 x 135 cm, IDR40 million (USD4,240)
- A.C. Andre Tanama, Hiding in the Deeply Eyes, 2011, painted fibreglass, 230 x 100 x 55 cm, IDR38 million (USD4,030)
- Bayu Widodo, Trees of Life, 2012, spray paint, acrylic on canvas, 140 x 140 cm, IDR25 million (USD2,650)
- Eldwin Pradipta, Portray Jelekong, 2012, video projection on white frame, 75 cm x 140 cm (frame), 2 minutes 8 seconds, IDR20 million IDR (USD2,120)
- Theo Frids Hutabarat, The Imposter, 2012, oil on canvas, 200 x 150 cm, IDR18 million IDR (USD1,910)
- Ahdiyat Nur Hartarta, Imaging: We/Us, 2012, charcoal on canvas, 150 x 200 cm, IDR13.5 million (USD1,430)
- Anton Subiyanto, Green Tooth, 2012, pencil, acrylic on canvas, 140 x 200 cm, IDR13.5 million (USD1,430)
- Herik, The Bottle 02, 2012, print photo on canvas, 100 x 100 cm, IDR8 million (USD848)
- Agustina Tri Wahyuningsih, Wayang Lakon Terwelu Girl Band, 2012, calico, cotton, Dacron, velvet, acrylic paint, 79 x 25 cm (5 pieces), IDR7.5 million (USD795)
- Ragil Adi Winata, Rumput Orang Lain Lebih Hijau Dari Rumput Sendiri, 2012, colour pencil on paper, 40 x 30 cm (4 panels), IDR6 million (USD636)
- Art Jog ’12: Fresh Indonesian contemporary art makes for a meaningful fair – July 2012 – Art Radar goes inside the fair for an exclusive view of the freshest Indonesian contemporary art
- Art auction in focus: Christie’s Hong Kong Spring 2012 Asian Contemporary Art Day Sale – June 2012 – close to ninety percent of Indonesian art works offered at the auction sold
- Hong Kong art fair ART HK 12: Final day sales figures – May 2012 – read about the Southeast Asian art works that were sold at this Asian art fair
- Video artist eats like Andy Warhol, wins 2nd Bandung Contemporary Art Awards – April 2012 – details on an Indonesian award for contemporary art and who made the cut in 2012
- Art Stage Singapore 2012 round up: Sales slow, coverage listless – January 2012 – With people airing doubts about Singapore, could Southeast Asia be the new art destination?
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on art fairs in Asia