Blogs and other new media forms are at the forefront when it comes to keeping art professionals updated in the Middle East.
Middle Eastern art blogger Taymour Grahne is launching a series comprehensive art guides to various cities around West Asia. By providing accurate and up-to-date information on where to go and what to see, Grahne hopes to generate art tourism for the region.
The art guides will suggest a list of museums, galleries and institutions with details about the collections and information about the opening hours, closing days, including how much time is needed to visit each gallery or museum. The guides will also provide the names of people to talk to regarding each city’s art scene as well as a calendar of cultural events, biennales and art fairs, and even details about visiting artists’ studios.
Grahne will start with Beirut, Lebanon where he has lived for six years. He then hopes to expand the guides and cover over a dozen more cities, including Jeddah, Dubai, Casablanca and, when it is safer to travel there, Damascus and Baghdad.
With the rapid expansion of art institutions around the Middle East, from infrastructure projects like Abu Dhabi’s Saadiyat Island project to several regional galleries either opening or expanding their operations, Grahne’s art guides may prove a useful resource for those keen on exploring the contemporary Middle Eastern art scene.
- Crowdfunding website Aflamnah links community with Arab artists – resource alert – August 2012 – a Kickstarter-style site for Middle Eastern art brings communities closer to cultural producers
- Impending Arabic Art Glossary seeks to close language gap – resource alert – June 2012 – Art Dubai and Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art commission online, interactive contemporary art glossary
- Echo: Support for contemporary Iraqi art – January 2012 – new nonprofit online database and contemporary art resource platform supports contemporary art in Iraq
- Art Dubai’s aim of giving back to region realised? Media round-up – March 2011 – art fairs in the Middle East are also filling a need for art infrastructure, education and programming
- Need an introduction to modern Arab art? Mathaf opens December – November 2010 – Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art is one of the region’s premiere modern and contemporary art museums
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on art tourism in the Middle East