Modern and contemporary works from Istanbul are exhibited in Zurich as Turkish art continues its high visibility in Europe.
“Hot Spot Istanbul”, taking place from 6 June to 23 September 2013 at the Museum Haus Konstructiv in Zurich, is the first comprehensive exhibition of Turkish abstract, concrete and conceptual art in Switzerland. This is the second European outing for Turkish art in 2013, as Istanbul art gains international attention.
Turkish artists have been gaining visibility in Europe, not only with the Swiss “Hot Spot Istanbul” exhibition, but with MAK Vienna‘s “Signs Taken in Wonder” and with a protest at the 2013 vernissage of the Venice Biennale. Artist Ali Kazma and Curator Emre Baykal from the Turkish Pavilion, along with SALT Curator Duygu Demir, Istanbul Biennial Curator Fulya Erdemci and Witte de With Director Defne Ayas showed solidarity for the Gezi Park protests through their Biennale action, according to Hyperallergic.
Haus Konstructiv continues the trend for spotlighting Turkish art with “Hot Spot Istanbul“, the “first comprehensive exhibition of Turkish abstract, concrete, conceptual and contemporary art in Switzerland,” according to the Museum’s press release. The exhibition includes more than eighty works by 21 artists, beginning with Turkish abstract painting from the late forties to today’s contemporary art.
“Hot Spot Istanbul” is curated by Dorothea Strauss, the director of Haus Konstructiv. The focus of the exhibition is how the 1940s era Turkish abstract concrete painters deeply impacted young Turkish artists both at home and abroad during the following decades.
“Hot Spot Istanbul” includes the work of the following Turkish artists.
Four historically significant artists, pioneers of post-1945 Turkish art
Abstract, concrete and contemporary artists
- Can Altay
- Adnan Çoker
- Burhan Doğançay
- Ahmet Oran
- Abdurrahmen Ötzoprak
- Seckin Pirim
- Canan Tolon
- Seyhun Topuz
- Ebru Uygun
- Ekrem Yalçındağ
- Turkish art market: ignored no longer – CNN – February 2012 – Turkish contemporary art is booming
- 12th Istanbul Biennale: women artists and emerging regions stand out – November 2011 – Art Radar looks at the highlights of an unconventional biennial
- Art so fresh it’s still wet at Contemporary Istanbul – video – December 2010 – five gallery representatives speak to VernissageTV about the Turkish art fair
- Turkish art another fad? The lowdown on this new market – March 2009 – ArtTactic Managing Director gives the lowdown on the Turkish art market
- Sotheby’s inaugural sale of contemporary Turkish art – video – 5 artists talk – February 2009 – Turkish artists discuss social commentary and politics in their works
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on contemporary Turkish art events