The top 10 powerful people in Israeli art.
An article published in August 2013 in an Israeli paper listed the ten most powerful individuals in Israel’s art scene, and none of them are artists.
An article published in Haaretz on 2 August 2013 titled “The Top Ten: The most influential people in Israeli art“, written by Galia Yahav and Ellie Armon Azoulay, included heads of art institutions and moneyed collectors, but not one single artist.
The exclusion of artists might strike some as a little odd as several Israeli contemporary artists such as Guy Ben-Ner, Yael Bartana and Sigilit Landau are known internationally, exhibiting in prestigious exhibitions like the Venice Biennale.
The top 10 powerful people in Israel’s art scene according to Haaretz are:
- Susan Landau, Director and Chief Curator of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art.
- Eva Illouz, President of Bezalel Academy of Art & Design, Jerusalem.
- Rivka Saker, Senior Director of Sotheby’s Israel, founder of Artis and an art collector.
- Shalom Shpilman, art collector and founder of the Shpilman Institute for Photography in Tel Aviv.
- Yigal Ahuvi, art collector and key partner to Fresh Paint, an art fair held in Tel Aviv.
- Sergio Edelsztein, Founder and Curator of the Center for Contemporary Art, Tel Aviv.
- Micha Levin, art historian and head of the art department of the Shenkar College of Engineering & Design in Ramat Gan.
- Eyal Danon, Director and Chief Curator of the Israeli Center for Digital Art in Holon.
- Eila Eitan, Founder of the public relations firm Eila Eitan, which promotes art and culture in Israel.
- Yaffa Braverman, owner of the Braverman Gallery in Tel Aviv.
- Palestinian artists used documentary tactics to sustain and subvert – ArtAsiaPacific – November 2011 – there can be little distance between film-makers and their subjects
- Israeli artscene online with Omanoot.com launch – resource alert – February 2011 – read Art Radar‘s 2011 interview with Omanoot, before the company moved into online retail
- Israeli kinetic artist Yaacov Agam helps make “Taipei Beautiful”– July 2010 – Yaacov Agam’s creative ventures in Taiwan aim to improve the metropolis
- MOMA acquires Israeli artist Guy Ben-Ner video Moby Dick – March 2009 – the MOMA gets an early handle on Israeli video work
- Guide to art scene Tel Aviv, Israel – New York Times – November 2008 – a look on the New York Times breakdown of what’s going on in the Israel art scene
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on Israeli art