Editorial Assistant/Copy Editor – Contemporary Art Publishing
Art Radar, one of the leading online platforms covering contemporary art news and trends in Asia and beyond, is seeking a paid Intern to work on ongoing editorial projects.
There is the opportunity for career progression at the end of 6 months, for the right candidate. Previous Interns have gone on the take up writing and managerial positions within Art Radar.
The Art Radar Intern will ideally be a Journalism or Arts graduate with an understanding of online publishing and a passion for contemporary Asian art. Reporting to the Editor, the Editorial Assistant will be responsible for:
- Editorial Assistance: updating our curated listings of employment opportunities and art events
- Copy Editing: editing news and feature articles related to contemporary art on a weekly basis
- General administrative and editorial tasks as necessary
We operate a curated, rolling list of art world opportunities that includes jobs, internships, courses, conferences, talks, residencies, etc. The page is updated weekly and each week we publish a new article listing the latest opportunities and those that are about to expire.
For this task, you will need to
- source new opportunities through mostly online research.
- conduct email or telephone correspondence with people seeking to list their opportunity.
- update the existing page with new opportunities.
- create new pages for new opportunities.
- create a weekly post to advertise new and expiring opportunities.
- promote the opportunities through our social media channels.
We estimate that this task will take 1 to 2 hours per week once the successful candidate is trained. Visit the Art Radar Opportunities page here.
This position includes the additional task of updating our Asian Art Events page, a task that will take an extra 15 to 30 minutes each week.
Articles will be assigned by our editor to the Intern a number of weeks to one to two days in advance of the deadline.
The Intern will be asked to:
- edit all assigned articles, correcting errors of grammar, spelling and fact.
- ensure all articles adhere to the Art Radar style and formatting requirements.
- ensure all images in all articles adhere to Art Radar specifications and captioning requirements.
- make any required changes / additions to articles at the request of the editor.
- promote articles via our social media channels and email.
- communicate any potential or real problems with articles to the editor promptly via email and/or Skype. (Art Radar operates a remote office only with an internationally based staff.)
While all articles relate to contemporary art in Asia and beyond, the variety of topics covered may be extensive. For a list of the topics covered by Art Radar to date (and an archive of our articles), please visit our topics page.
For this position, you must
- have a tertiary-level education.
- have a background in art history, contemporary art, the art market or a related field.
- have native-level English language ability, written and spoken.
- be able to quickly find information using on- and off-line research methods.
- be familiar with the WordPress platform.
- have reliable access to the internet and their own computer.
- be willing to commit to regular hours each week during weekdays, and be flexible on weekends at short notice if they are needed.
- be familiar with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn.
For the right candidate this role may expand to include further, undecided tasks related to the administration of this website, so a candidate with the ability to take on more work/hours is strongly desired.
A background in art history, contemporary art or a related field and experience working for an online trade publication in any area is desirable, but not essential. Candidates with no experience in either may be considered for this role, depending on other skills.
The Intern will be paid a base rate of USD100 per month, and an additional USD7 for each article copy edited.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please email your resume, a cover letter and two relevant writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: Friday 29th November 2013. Start date Monday 2nd December 2013.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by email and will be required to attend up to two interviews over Skype and do a short editing test. Only shortlisted and successful applicants will be contacted.
Please direct questions about this position to email@example.com.
Days of work per week are to be decided during the recruitment process.