Meet Art Radar staff, readers and friends for a formal masterclass art tour, followed by an intimate art networking gathering.
Art Radar is excited to offer you the opportunity to attend an exclusive private masterclass tour at De Sarthe gallery during their exhibition “Pioneers of Modern Chinese painting in Paris”.
During this tour of the exhibition “Pioneers of Modern Chinese painting in Paris”, you will be taken on a powerful narrative and historical journey through one of the most important developments in Asia’s art scene over the past 100 years. The show exhibits a collection of 15 rare masterpieces by 10 Chinese artists who are leading proponents of the Chinese Modern Movement.
Want to spend an evening with Pascal de Sarthe, influential Director of the well-known De Sarthe gallery? Here is your chance! Our masterclass tour will be led by Pascal de Sarthe himself, followed by a talk about the market by an auction specialist from a leading auction house.
The masterclass tour
De Sarthe will explain how the show focuses on 15 masterpieces from the first and second generation of the most significant Chinese artists in the 20th century. These artists moved to or worked temporarily in Paris from 1919 onwards, and the show highlights the influence of Western art in their work.
“It represented a rupture with centuries of Chinese tradition”.
The work of second generation artists such as Zao Wou-ki, Chu Teh-Chun and T’ang Haywen later evolved into a “Chinese abstraction” wholly different from Western abstract painters.
This is a rare exhibition because it features some of the highest auction sellers and the most renowned modern Chinese painters under one roof.
In the second part of the masterclass tour, an auction specialist in the Chinese Modern Movement from a leading auction house will describe the extraordinary impact these exceptional artists have had on the market. Expect to gasp at the lot prices!
Here are a select few of the exhibited artists:
- Sanyu: pioneered the association of the art of ink. His fame in France was comparable to that of Jean Cocteau and Tsuguharu Foujita.
- Xu Beihong: famous for his Chinese ink painting of horses and birds. He is one of the first Chinese artists to articulate the need for artistic expressions that reflected a modern China.
- Lin Fengmian: worked with rice paper and ink and broke the conventions of time by favouring a square format and employing bright hues.
- Zao Wou-Ki: one of the highest-selling Chinese artists. He is known for his abstract works and juxtaposing contrasting colours.
- Wu Guanzhong: stands as one of the most important artists of 20th century China. He created works that embody many major shifts and tensions in 20th century Chinese art.
After the tour
The tour will be followed by drinks at a nearby hotel: a chance to meet other readers and art enthusiasts. The get together afterwards will be low-key and intimate – a great opportunity to network and form collaborations and new friendships.
Meet up details
- Date: Wednesday, 4 June 2014
- Time: Talk starts at 7pm
- Location: Meet at 6:45pm on the 8th floor, Club Lusitano.
- Followed by drinks and a chat at a nearby hotel (venue to be decided) at 8pm
- Cost: HKD280 (HKD180 under 25s)
(Note: this fee will go to Art Radar for organising the event. Drinks after the event to be paid by attendees. No cash at the door – payments must be made in advance.)
For any questions about the event, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
CLICK HERE TO PAY $280
CLICK HERE TO PAY $180 (under 25s + others)
Bring a friend – we would love to meet them too.