Which of Australia’s art institutions, spaces and publications should you be following on Instagram?
Start off your 2015 art journey by following these handpicked Instagram accounts that feature the latest Australian contemporary art. Art Radar suggests 15 exciting accounts to follow.
In no particular order, Art Radar lists 15 exciting Instagram accounts that offer glimpses into diverse aspects of the Australian contemporary art world.
Art Monthly Australia | @artmonthly
This authoritative magazine of Australian art (est. 1987) has a new Instagram account that regularly posts useful alerts about exhibitions around the country.
Art Almanac | @artalmanac
Follow this dynamic publication for real-time updates on what’s happening in the Australian art community.
Art Guide Australia | @artguideau
Art Guide Australia is an independent editorial featuring lively conversations and current views on the Australian art scene. Follow to receive insights from artists, curators and galleries.
Art Gallery of NSW | @artgalleryofnsw
The official Instagram account of the Art Gallery of New South Wales brings you updates about current and upcoming exhibitions, close-ups of artworks and behind-the-scenes shots of one of the most popular art museums in Australia.
Art Gallery of WA | @artgalleryWA
The Art Gallery of Western Australia places a strong exclusive focus on the arts of Australia. Its Instagram feed regularly re-posts the work of Australian artists.
Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art (QAGOMA) | @qagoma
QAGOMA is the joining of forces between two vibrant galleries, the Queensland Art Gallery and the Gallery of Modern Art. Follow to receive visual snippets of installations, artworks, design merchandise and mouthwatering previews of dishes from the gallery restaurants.
Museum of Contemporary Art Australia | @mca_australia_now
The Instagram stream of the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia features real-time stories seen through the eyes of the Museum’s staff, visitors and collaborators.
TarraWarra Museum of Art | @tarrawarrama
TarraWarra‘s thoughtful Instagram account offers inspirational quotes in addition to images of artwork and architecture. Follow also to catch stunning views of the beautiful Yarra Valley where the museum is situated.
4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art | @4Acentreforcontasianart
This unique and energetic space posts regular and interactive news snippets about event launches, exhibitions and progress updates of artists.
Artspace Sydney | @artspace_sydney
Artspace is a leading international residency-based art centre that hosts interesting artist talks, cutting-edge exhibitions and interactive public programmes.
Centre for Contemporary Photography | @ccp_australia
A must-follow for photography lovers, the Centre for Contemporary Photography’s Instagram feed enables closer engagement with the centre’s many events, resources and exhibitions that revolve around contemporary photo-based arts.
Melbourne Art Fair | @melbourneartfair
The Melbourne Art Fair is one of Australasia’s leading fairs for contemporary art. The next edition is scheduled for August 2016; follow now to be sure not to miss out on previews and behind-the-scenes tidbits.
Sydney Contemporary | @sydneycontemporary
Now in its second edition, Sydney Contemporary is Australia’s newest international art fair. Its Instagram feed supplies an exciting and diverse range of Asian contemporary art.
Art Month Sydney | @artmonthsydney
This annual not-for-profit festival of contemporary art encourages engagement with artists through gallery visitation. Follow to view snapshots of studio visits and artist-led tours.
Stupid Krap | @stupidkrap
A must-follow for street art lovers, Stupid Krap’s Instagram feed features original and limited edition artworks by the world’s best street, graffiti and contemporary artists.
- Katrina Sedgwick appointed director and CEO of Melbourne’s ACMI – December 2014 – ACMI appoints award-winning festival director and creative producer as new Director and CEO
- Video artist Daniel Crooks awarded AUD100,000 commission – November 2014 – video artist receives AUD100,000 from The Ian Potter Cultural Trust as well as specialised curatorial, production and presentation expertise from the Australian Centre for the Moving Image
- 30 years of Australian artist Lindy Lee – in pictures – October 2014 – The University of Queensland Art Museum presents a 3-decade survey of Lee’s practice
- National Gallery of Australia gets new director, art space – October 2014 – Professor Gerard Vaughan is appointed Director only a month after the inauguration of a new space dedicated to contemporary art
- “Whisper in My Mask”: Natalie King on the TarraWarra Biennial 2014 in Australia – curator interview – August 2014 – Co-curator of TarraWarra Biennial 2014 talks about masks, ghosts, telepathy, the experimental curatorial platform and her future nocturnal liaisons
Subscribe to Art Radar for more contemporary Australian art