Sotheby’s auction of modern and contemporary art from South Asia will live stream on eBay.
As part of the auction house’s New York Asia Art Week presenting a number of sales of Asian art and antiques as well as selling exhibitions, Sotheby’s partners with eBay for a live stream of South Asian Modern and Contemporary art on 15 March 2016.
Sotheby’s New York auction of Modern and Contemporary South Asian art on 15 March 2016 will live stream on eBay Live Auction Platform. Sotheby’s has at different times tried to establish a partnership with the online auction giant, until it finally managed to start operations on the live streaming on eBay in April 2015. Sotheby’s is not the only art auction house collaborating with eBay; Phillips has also started streaming online since September 2015.
Sotheby’s South Asian art auction will feature 111 works by leading Indian artists like Francis Newton Souza, defined by Sotheby’s as “perhaps post-independence India’s most recognised artist in the West”, George Keyt, Nandalal Bose and Jamini Roy, who India’s Minister of Culture dubbed one of nine artists whose work should be considered a “national treasure”.
The auction centres around a monumental work by India’s leading abstract painter Vasudeo S. Gaitonde (1924-2001). The painting, measuring about 150 by 270 centimetres, was originally created as a commission for the Air India Building in Mumbai, but was instead purchased by art patron and artist Bal Chhabda for his personal collection. The monumental work is known to be the largest ever created on canvas by the artist. With a subtle blue-grey and cloudy palette, the work symbolises air, buoyancy and flight.
Another important highlight is represented by In The Garden, a rare landscape painting by National Treasure artist Amrita Sher-Gil (1913-1941), a mixed Punjabi-Hungarian painter sometimes dubbed as India’s Frida Kahlo. Sher-Gil painted the work while in Hungary, during a period of reflection following her marriage. The garden in the painting is a reference to the garden of her family’s summer house in the artist community of Zebegény, and invokes the happy memories she had with her relatives there. The work is important in that it marks a turning point in Sher-Gil’s practice, one which represents a style that went on to influence her miniature works she created upon her return to India.
Sayed Haider Raza’s Cagnes-sur-Mer (1952) is part of his Siennese style and one of the few works that Vincy of Galerie Lara Vincy – who started representing Raza since his move to France in the 1950s.
The 111 lots sale also includes works by artists such as Maqbool Fida Husain, Francis Newton Souza, Tyeb Mehta, Jehangir Sabavala, Jagdish Swaminathan and Nalini Malani from private collections. The live streaming of the auction taking place at Sotheby’s saleroom floor on 15 March at 10 am will allow eBay’s 162 million active buyers the opportunity to bid.
C. A. Xuan Mai Ardia
- Videonale in Lagos spotlights African video art – February 2016 – the international festival of video art Videonale Bonn spearheads a project in Lagos, Nigeria
- Christie’s Hong Kong autumn auctions 2015 evidence evolving trends for Asian art – December 2015 – Christie’s autumn art auctions in Hong Kong demonstrate a continued healthy appetite for Asian modern and contemporary art despite challenging market conditions
- Para Site auction fundraises for ongoing growth and outreach – October 2015 – Hong Kong’s leading contemporary art centre holds its annual fundraising auction on 27 October 2015
- Against all odds: Iranian art market grows in spite of sanctions – June 2015 – the fourth edition of Tehran Auction fetched a record amount of USD7.26 million
- So you think you can be an art market forecaster? – May 2015 – in the digital age, anyone can try to predict art market prices
Subscribe to Art Radar for more contemporary art auctions