The acquisition of Masterpiece London by MCH Group confirms the increasing demand for cross-period events across the global collecting scene.
The parent company of Art Basel, MCH Group, acquires 67.5 percent of the art, design and antiques fair Masterpiece London.
Masterpiece London organises the art fair at the Royal Hospital Chelsea in London each summer and specialises in providing a diverse platform where buyers can find anything from antiquities and rare books to contemporary artworks. The acquisition of the young art fair is a further addition to the MCH Group’s ever-expanding collector events portfolio, which also includes Art Basel, the Design & Regional Art Fairs and the newly launched Grand Basel for exclusive automobiles, which will premiere in Basel in 2018.
Masterpiece London’s ninth edition will take place from 28 June to 4 July 2018 at the Royal Hospital Chelsea. It was established in 2008 and founders Harry Apter, Simon Philips and Harry van der Hoorn will remain on the board of the fair. Chairman of the fair Philip Hewat-Jaboor will continue in his role. The incorporation of Masterpiece London into MCH Group signals the branching out of the company towards the increasingly popular cross-discipline events. The acquisition also signals a change in structure for Masterpiece London: over the next few years the fair will be staged at further locations in the United States, Asia and the Middle East.
The move, overseen by MCH Group Chief Executive René Kamm and Masterpiece London Managing Director Lucie Kitchener, will encourage mutual growth. Kitchener stated to The Art Newspaper:
While we have great knowledge of the London market, MCH will bring an international perspective.
MCH highlighted the draw of a cross-collecting event such as Masterpiece, whereby works from extremely different time periods and locations can be found side by side, stating in a press statement:
With the integration of Masterpiece London, MCH Group is further expanding its already strong position in the key global collectors’ markets. Presenting the finest works of art from antiquity to the present day, and with a unique focus on cross-collecting, Masterpiece London ideally complements MCH’s collector events portfolio.
- MCH Group announces plans to expand in the global art fair market – March 2016 – leading international live marketing group behind Art Basel plans to expand their global presence through a network of regional art fairs
- The India Art Fair 2016 scorecard: spotlighting India’s great artists – February 2016 – Art Radarexplores who faired well and what’s to learn at India Art Fair 2016
- International Director Zain Masud on India Art Fair 2016 – January 2016 – India Art Fair launches its eighth edition on 28 January 2016 with a renewed set of initiatives, exhibitors and artists depicting the cultural diversity of the South Asian arts scene
- “Writing Art”: Panel discusses art criticism at India Art Fair 2015 – February 2015 – Prominent names discuss art writing and criticism at the 7th India Art Fair
- Making art accessible: Neha Kirpal on India Art Fair – interview – January 2014 – India Art Fair’s Founder and Director Neha Kirpal sheds light on the contemporary art scene in India
Subscribe to Art Radar for more news on art fairs around the world