NEW ART MUSEUMS CONTEMPORARY ARAB ART
Art Observed was on site for the inauguration of Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art in Doha, Qatar. As stated by the online art magazine, “Mathaf – Arabic for ‘museum’ – is the first institution of its kind in the region focusing entirely on Arab art and creativity.” Read on for images and information from the magazine.
While the museum’s preview days and exhibition inauguration were held 14-15 December, 2010, Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art officially opened to the public on 30 December. Art Observed reports from the preview,
Guests gathered outside before the museum doors opened and enjoyed live entertainment led by Yassin Alsalman (a.k.a. The Narcicyst) under the title Identity Card: Who We Were, Who We Are. The compilation of musical performance reflected the opening week’s theme of the resurgence of Arab artistic expression through greater dialogue between the East and the West.
The museum opened its doors with its inaugural exhibition Sajjil: A Century of Modern Art, which features historic works of Arab modernism as well as newly commissioned works for the museum. In Arabic, Sajjil means the art of recording, a title which exemplifies the subject matter of more than 240 paintings, sculptures, and mixed-media installations on display as they reflect pieces of Arab history and culture over the last century.
- Need an introduction to modern Arab art? Mathaf opens in December – November 2010 – see if what was scheduled went to plan plus get more information on the museum itself
- Sheikh Sultan opens private collection to public putting Sharjah on the UAE art map – August 2010 – What sort of art is on show? Click here to find out
- Xu Zhen takes on Middle Eastern identities and cultures as the new artists’ collective alias MadeIn at the Ikon Gallery, UK – June 2010 – challenges perceptions of Chinese and Middle Eastern art production
- Maraya Art Centre hub for contemporary Arab art – December 2010 – we profile this new – physically and conceptually – art complex
- Gallerist Salwa Zeidan explains mission of inaugural Abu Dhabi Sculpture Symposium – interview – March 2010 – Zeidan talks about the mission of ADISS, government sponsorship of the arts and her favourite Emirati sculptor