HONG KONG ART FAIR SALES
On the final day of ART HK 12, Art Radar journalists were canvassing galleries and asking dealers about their fair experience. Of the gallerists we spoke with on the day, nearly all reported two or more sold works. We have some of the details from these sales below.
All of the following sales figures were given on Sunday 20 May 2012.
Arario Gallery sold an undisclosed number of smaller pieces with prices ranging from USD10,000-50,000.
Australian gallery GBK sold twenty works for between AUD3,000-40,000 (USD3,000-39,500). These included a sculpture by Claire Healy and Sean Cordeiro for AUD35,000 (USD34,600); an oil painting by Hitesh Natalwala for AUD6,000 (USD5,900); and a work by Grant Stevens for AUD10,000 (USD9,900).
Scotland’s Ingleby Gallery sold eight pieces with prices in the range of GBP1,200-50,000 (USD1,900-79,100).
Paul Kasmin Gallery of New York reported selling three works in the range of USD35,000-850,000.
Hong Kong and US based de Sarthe Gallery also sold three artworks with prices between USD2million-5 million.
Silverlens Gallery from the Philippines sold around seventy percent of what they brought to the fair, with pieces priced within the range of USD500-20,000.
Do you want to talk to some of the world’s most influential galleries at international contemporary art events? Click here to express your interest in our online art journalism certificate programme. Summer intake application deadline: 4 June 2012.
- ART HK 12: Sales figures days 1 and 2 – May 2012 – more sales reports from the earlier days of the fair
- ART HK 12: Redefining the space we live in – Asia Art Archive Open Platform speakers – May 2012 – part of ART HK 12′s educational programming, these non-profit organisations take a different approach to contemporary art practice
- ART HK 12: First time Asian galleries talk art fair strategy – May 2012 – what newcomers to the fair were thinking in the week beforehand
- Chinese affordable art fair AAC to launch Hong Kong edition – May 2012 – in case the price points above are too steep, this new event has you covered
- What went for how much at Art Beijing 2012? Red dot round up – May 2012 – compare how the two greater China fairs match up in terms of sales
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on contemporary art sales in Hong Kong