Mori Art Museum’s Director appointed Curatorial Director of the new Honolulu Biennial.
The director of Tokyo’s Mori Art Museum (MAM) will curate the new biennial in Honolulu in 2016. The Biennial is part of an effort to include Hawaii in the global contemporary art scene.
Honolulu on the global art stage
In an interview with Blouin ArtInfo, Dr Baysa said:
Hawaii is bountiful with creative talent. For varying reasons, the exposure of creative individuals from Hawaii on the global stage has remained minimal in scale. One of the primary goals of the Honolulu Biennial Foundation is to disrupt and upend the current situation.
In the press release (PDF download) announcing the prologue exhibition of the Biennial, Dr Baysa is quoted as saying:
We are interested in bringing artists from outside Hawai’i who rarely get exhibited here, as well as offering Hawai’i-based artists the opportunity to interface with a wider arts audience. The combination of the multifaceted, multicultural history, and the geopolitical locus as the true meeting point between the Asian continent, Oceania and the Americas, make for a truly rigorous site for artistic innovation and exploration. That is what we believe makes the Honolulu Biennial distinctive.
Chain of Fire
This autumn, from 30 October to 9 November 2014, the HBF in collaboration with the Hawai’i International Film Festival will present “Chain of Fire: The Prologue Exhibition for the 2016 Honolulu Biennial”, co-curated by Dr Baysa and Hughes.
The exhibition is a preview of what the Biennial will present in two years, and will feature the work of national and international artists of various origins. Artworks will be in a range of media, with a focus on new media, video, photography and multimedia installations. The roster includes:
- Paul Pfeiffer (Philippines/USA/Hawai’i)
- Shigeyuki Kihara (Samoa/New Zealand)
- Bahar Behbahani (Iran/USA)
- Arahmaiani (Indonesia)
- Almagul Menlibayeva (Kazakhstan)
- Adrienne Keahi Pao (Hawai’i/USA)
- Mark Salvatus (Philippines)
- Sama Alshaibi (Iraq/Palestine/USA)
There will also be a site-responsive installation by multimedia artist Hasan Elahi (Bangladesh/USA), Hawai’i’s Drew Broderick and the Pas de Chocolat collective.
C. A. Xuan Mai Ardia
- India’s first contemporary art biennial gets long term patron – August 2014 – the second edition of India’s only contemporary art biennale Kochi-Muziris Biennale promises great improvements as it gets long-term funding from UAE-based Indian businessman along with the government’s renewed pledge of support
- Whitney Museum appoints Christopher Y. Lew as associate curator – July 2014 – the Whitney Museum announces the appointment of Christopher Y. Lew as Associate Curator as it continues its expansion agenda
- Biennial new world? Art Basel Switzerland Salon talk – video – June 2013 – 5 international curators share their personal experiences on curating biennials at the Salon discussion “The Future of Biennials in Local and Global Context” on 14 June 2013 at Art Basel Switzerland
- Artist Yasumasa Morimura to lead 2014 Yokohama Triennale in place of curator – January 2013 – in December 2012, it was announced that Japanese contemporary artist Yasumasa Morimura will direct the fifth edition of the Yokohama Triennale in 2014
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on international contemporary art biennials