Beirut Art Centre holds solo exhibition by Lebanese artist Tony Chakar.
Lebanese artist Tony Chakar’s solo exhibition “On Becoming Two” on display at the Beirut Art Centre is a site-specific installation exploring the notion of critique and suspicion with regards to the commodified art object as well as the media-saturated readings of the unresolved Lebanese civil war.
“On Becoming Two”: critique and distance
In the aforementioned text, entitled …To the Ends of the Earth, Tony Chakar offers a quiet critique of the divisions between the “local” and exiled artist (the “Beirut-based” artist from the international traveller), further reaffirming Chakar’s suspicion of the art world – responsible for offering support across borders but also of displacing practices and decontextualising them at the risk of uprooting meaning.
In response to this situation, Chakar has developed a conversation around presence and forgetfulness that borrows from different disciplines and fields. In “On Becoming Two” Chakar questions notions of “here” and “there”, “map” and “territory”, “word” and “object”, “building” and “home”. As the press release states, “On Becoming Two is a defense of dissociation, doubt and critical distance.” Chakar’s complex installation is a harmony seeking endeavour and reflects the will to locate a safe (critical) space in intimacy among the chaos.
- Preview: 5 highlights from the 7th Beirut Art Fair – September 2016 – prior to the opening of the Beirut Art Fair, Art Radar selects a few highlights not to be missed
- The West Kowloon Cultural District Authority celebrates completion of M+ Pavilion in Hong Kong – July 2016 – WKCDA held ceremony for first permanent structure of Hong Kong’s future museum M+
- A beacon for Palestine’s culture and identity: The Palestinian Museum – June 2016 – Palestine’s recently inaugurated museum is dedicated to supporting and strengthening Palestinian culture and identity
- In between truth and fiction: the art of Lebanon’s Walid Raad at MoMA New York – January 2016 – New York’s MoMA holds the first major American survey show of the influential Lebanese artist Walid Raad
- Beirut at a turning point: 5 new museums and art centres on the horizon – July 2015 – 5 exciting new institutions are slated to open in the Lebanese capital within the next 5 years
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on Beirut Contemporary Art events