“Presence of Whiteness” features the work of Chinese artist Zhu Jinshi across Pearl Lam Galleries’ two spaces in Singapore.
Running until 30 April 2017, the dual-space exhibition includes a series of over 20 coloured paintings created between 2012 and 2016 at Dempsey Hill, as well as painting, installation and text works spanning 50 years of Zhu Jinshi’s career at the Gillman Barracks.
Despite the sheer masses of paint employed, such as in the expansive triptych Mistaken Dream of the Lotus Pond (2014), the paintings do not seem excessive, but rather driven by an assiduous focus on the material, physical qualities of paint, particularly in its extension far beyond the plane of the canvas’ surface. As with Presence of Whiteness 2, detailed inspection of the surfaces of these artworks – despite their comparatively imposing scale – reveals all manner of physio-chemical interactions of varying degrees of incidentality.
When applied at the thicknesses Zhu employs, masses of paint may shear and crack; solvents might sweat to the surface, and, more commonly, undulating wrinkles emerge on paint surfaces, either complementing or contrasting the directions established in his brushstrokes. Particularly apparent in monochrome works like the Wall of Nine Dragons (2011) series is a subtle staining of the canvas near the paint proper – emergent shadows which yield an even greater sense of depth to his works.
- “Liquid Truth”: Chinese artist Xue Mu at Yeo Workshop, Singapore – in pictures – February 2017 – Art Radar has a look at the second solo exhibition of the Chinese artist in Singapore, which takes among its points of departure the classical sculptures of Michelangelo and Rodin
- “Recovering the Past”: Myanmar artist Htein Lin at Yavuz Gallery, Singapore – February 2017 – in his first solo show in Singapore, Htein Lin explores family history, life in Myanmar and past challenges
- “Tales of Our Time”: Chinese contemporary art at the Guggenheim New York – January 2017 – “Tales of our time” presents Generation X’s perspectives on place and history at the Guggenheim New York until 10 March 2017
- “Becoming Oneself”: exploring the notion of Self at 1 x 3 Gallery, Beijing – January 2017 – a group show at 1 x 3 Gallery in Beijing, running until 18 February 2017, explores the notion of Self
- “Genesis”: Japanese artist Naoko Tosa at Ikkan Art International, Singapore – January 2017 – Naoko Tosa transforms the gallery space into a screening environment at Ikkan Art International, Singapore
Subscribe to Art Radar for more on exhibitions in Singapore and beyond