Art Radar, one of the leading online platforms covering contemporary art news and trends in Asia and beyond, is seeking one Part-time Staff Writer to write news and feature articles related to contemporary art in Asia and internationally.
Art Radar continues to grow in stature and visitor numbers. Our articles have been linked to among others by the BBC, CNN, the Voice of America, Smithsonian magazine, and our posts have been included in course materials and academic books from universities stretching from China to the United States. Our 30,000 visitors a month include academics, art professionals and collectors.
Start your journey with Art Radar…
Working for Art Radar is a career-enhancing move. Our former writers and editors have gone on to work for Sotheby’s, Christie’s, Larry’s List, Vastari and a host of other art institutions worldwide. We also offer in-house career advancement where possible: one of our previous managing editors was our former staff writer, while our current managing editor rose up through ranks after joining us originally as copy editor and freelance contributor.
Articles will be assigned by our Editor to the Staff Writer a number of weeks to one to two days in advance of the deadline.
The Staff Writer will be asked to
- conduct thorough research for articles including on- and off-line research and telephone / Skype / email / in person interviewing.
- write articles from research.
- source appropriate and copyright free and/or approved images for articles.
- upload article text and images to our website (WordPress).
- make any required changes / additions to articles at the request of the editor.
- promote articles via our social media channels and email.
- communicate any potential or real problems with articles to the editor via email and/or Skype. (Art Radar operates a remote office only with an internationally based staff.)
Articles will typically be between 500 and 1500+ words in length with a variety of lengths required in one week. Click here to scroll through our most recent articles.
While all articles relate to contemporary art in Asia and beyond, the variety of topics may be extensive. For a list of the topics covered by Art Radar to date, please visit our Topics page.
Art Radar operates remotely, with staff members working from home (or cafes!) across the world. As such, applicants for this position can be based anywhere in the world, although applicants living in the Asia region will be given preference.
Successful candidates must
- commit to regular hours each week during weekdays, and be flexible on weekends (possibly at short notice).
- be able to quickly find information using on- and off-line research methods.
- have a tertiary-level education in History of Art or related field. Journalism and writing degrees are also welcome (with focus on art writing).
- have reliable access to the internet and their own computer.
- have native-level English language ability, written and spoken.
- have experience writing for an online publication.
- be familiar with the WordPress platform.
- be familiar with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn.
- have a background in art history, contemporary art, the art market or a related field. We accept candidates with Degrees in History of Art, with preferred focus on Asian, Middle Eastern and African art, or art-related field. Candidates with degree in Journalism or writing-related degrees are also welcome, but they should have interest and experience writing about art and contemporary art
Experience conducting interviews as part of research for written articles is strongly desired. Experience creating video and other multimedia content is desired, but not essential.
The Staff Writer will be expected to write between 8 to 10 articles per month, with the number increasing in times of urgency or when needed. The Staff Writer will be paid a fixed rate of USD25 per article written, payable at the end of the month of publishing via PayPal account. The Staff Writer should be regularly reachable via email and other platforms from Monday to Friday, and flexible on weekends in times of urgency.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE to fill in the application form.
Application deadline: Wednesday 13 December 2017.
Only applicants who meet the basic requirements will be contacted. We encourage applications only from those who meet the requirements. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by email and might be required to attend up to two interviews over Skype and do a short writing test. Only shortlisted and successful applicants will be contacted. Only one Staff Writer will be recruited. However, there will be the possibility for shortlisted candidates to be recruited as freelance contributors. The starting date for this position is Wednesday 3 January 2018.
Please direct questions about this position to email@example.com.